Term papers make an essential part of a student’s grade. It is vital to ensure that significant effort in timing, planning, and effective writing go into writing one. Google provides an essential point of reference in the identification of variation between top-class term paper a low ranking one.
Steps Followed in Documenting a Top-class Term Paper
Term papers are not used for language and literature studies only. Any subject in the modern curriculum can require a learner to write a term paper. It is essential to know how to write an exceptional term paper.
The procedure of Documenting a Term Paper
- Identify the subject matter of interest
- Perform a thorough exploration of the subject
- Develop a sketch out of the term document
- Prepare a draft proposition
- Write the term paper in details
- Create a title page
- Proofread and amend the draft
Description of the Term Paper
Collins Dictionary describes a term as a document or report written by students at the term and specific to the subject studied throughout the semester. Merriam Webster Dictionary defines a term paper as a major written task in college or a school course that is a representation of achievements of a learner during the term. These two definitions conform to Wikipedia’s definition.
Format of a Term Paper
The course in which the task being completed falls in dictates the format of the paper. A scientific paper will, for example, differ from how a literature paper is formatted.
The example below is based on a science format for an undergraduate student at the university.
- Title page
It contains the heading of the document, the student’s name, course title, professor’s name, and completion date. The lead page is separated from the other sections of the document and contains no additional information.
The section is broadly divided into three
- Topic: The topic is outlined
- Rationale: Give reasons and justifications o selecting the topic
- Additional Information: Include any other information that is relevant in the introduction of the topic
- Table of Contents
Generate a table of contents with titles and page numbers.
- Abstract (Statement of Purpose)
Provide a summary of the study and wind the section with a thesis statement that summarizes the question the document seeks to answer.
- Literature Analysis
Explains the research process and methods, as well as the implementation protocol. Give an in-depth explanation while being keen to ensure the recommended word count is not exceeded.
List the findings and observations of the work. Draw conclusions and comments derived from the work. Determine whether the theory proposed end of the abstract was proven as justified or not.
Give suggestions, experiences, and gaps that can assist future studies in the same area.
- References (Biography or Works Cited)
Following alphabetic order, list the material used to complete the study and those used for the in-text citation. Formatting the references is dependent on the format requirements of the paper.
How to Prepare an Outline for a Term Paper
Writing one requires a plan. An outline provides a critical guideline for writing a term paper. The outline orders the pints and sections that are important for the article. The outlines are imported to an author to serve as a yardstick that guides the writing process. In some instances, instructors ask to seek the outline before the learners commence on the writing process. In the final writing, the outline precedes the introduction.
Below is a sample outline that almost every paper adheres to.
- Introduction: The section introduces the readers to the general aspects of the study and also presents the hypothesis that the study aims at testing.
- Body: The body is the main section, and it is divided into topics and subtopics with the information being interlinked.
- First Heading: Background of the topic
- Second Heading: The Deeper explanation of the problem being addressed
- Third Heading: Effect of solving the problem
- Fourth Heading: Presentation of possible solutions to the problem
- Conclusion: Wind up the discussion summarizing the topic and responding to the proposed hypothesis being tested in the study.
Analyze Example of Term Papers
As earlier indicated, google and other sources provide previously done and graded term papers that can be reviewed by students to gain insight on how to write excellent term papers. Many institutions of higher learning avail the top term papers online. These papers can offer guidance on writing high scoring term papers.
Deciding on the Term Paper Topic
In most instances, the professor provides the topic that the students write about. In some situations, the tutors allow students to choose a topic of their liking. In such scenarios, it is vital to select topics relevant to the course or an item that is interesting to the perspective of the author. Doing so ensures that the student remains committed and eager to deeply research and deliver a substantial term paper that, in turn, earns them a high score.
Step by Step Procedure
- Understand the task
- Understand the reader or audience
- Select a topic
- Conduct an initial study on the topic
- Formulate and hypothesis
- Develop the term paper outline
- Develop paragraph with each having its independent idea
- Write the draft term paper
- Write the introduction
- Write a deep body of the paper
- Conclude the paper
- Develop a second draft term paper
- Revise the paper
- Countercheck with the checklist